Following the latest LTA advice on 1/6/20, it’s now possible to play doubles on the MUGA, provided the total number of players on both courts is limited to 6. We’re essentially following the LTA guidance, summarised in the poster below. Specifically, note:
- No more than 6 people per both courts (ie one doubles and one singles only maximum ) and social distancing between all of those players to be at least 2 metres
- The booking service via the website will re-commence shortly but be aware Broad Chalke primary school is in discussion with the CVSC and our committee about re-starting their use of the MUGA, as well as the tennis club.
- Please bring your own racquets and balls.
- Please wash your hands before and after play. Please bring your own hand sanitiser and wipes and wipe all common touchpoint surfaces (gate/padlock/winding handle etc) before and after play.
- The Pavilion remains closed and therefore no use of floodlights, toilets or kitchen facilities.
- The number on the gate lock has been changed since the original lockdown so please contact Matthew firstname.lastname@example.org for the new number if you haven’t already been given it.
- General Mix-ins will recommence as from the 4th June.
The Chalke Valley Tennis Club has two floodlit ‘all weather’ courts at the Chalke Valley Sports Centre and tennis is played throughout the year. At present around 67 family and individual members, from both inside and outside the Valley, enjoy:-
- Use of the courts at the CVSC whenever they are free, and also, by arrangement, of 2 other private courts in the Valley. You can use the event calendar to check that the courts have not already been booked. Then you can either just turn up, or make a booking by e-mailing email@example.com. See here for further details about using the private courts.
- All members are welcome to our social tennis ‘Mix-Ins’ on Thursday evenings from 6pm, and on Sunday mornings from 11am. You can check if others are coming to the next mix-in session, or let others know that you are, via Doodle.
- Junior and adult coaching.
- Entry into the draw for the opportunity to buy Wimbledon tickets that the club is allocated by the LTA.
- Adult tournaments – in recent years we have competed in the Shaftesbury Doubles League in the summer and the Sarum Winter league.
- Club singles ladder.
- Occasional social events.
Dan Binns is now running various sessions of coaching for juniors and adults too. Please contact him on 07793 458201 to find out more.
Our member Atilio Loncar can restring your tennis rackets: you can contact him on 01725 552651.
Membership for 2020
If you’d like to join, please use the online form here. Note that membership fees for new members decrease in stages over the course of the year – the form will compute the current fee for you.
You need to be a member to use the MUGA (Multi-Use Games Area, by the Sports Centre pavilion) tennis courts – except for coaching lessons and guests (see below) – and members are able to play on the MUGA whenever is is free.
Guidance on using the MUGA is available here. Please remember to let down the nets after play, to minimise stress on the post fixings, and to tie up the nets so that they don’t rub and fray on the tarmac.
Non-members are welcome to play up to 5 times per year if they pay a session fee. The fee is £3 per adult per session, £2 per session for each child or person in full-time education. A player can play as a guest no more than five times in a year: after that the player needs to become a member, but then any guest fees that they have paid in that year will be refunded. Please pay guest fees either (preferably) direct to the club account, number 01743042, sort code 30-97-41, or by cheque to the Chalke Valley Tennis Club, and forward your cheque to Matthew Dodd at Chapel Cottage, Chapel Lane, off North Street, Broadchalke SP5 5EN.
Each year, the LTA allocates a number of pairs of Wimbledon tickets to the club for our members to buy (there were 4 pairs in 2019), and then the club runs a ballot process to allocate these tickets to members – see below. Any club member can enter the club ballot for the chance to buy a pair of these tickets. To do this, you need to opt in to the ballot on the LTA website, and to do that you need to have registered with the LTA as a British Tennis Member (BTM) affiliated to this club. Any club member not already a BTM can become one, without charge, by clicking Join As A Lite Member in the membership page here. Then you can opt in to the Wimbledon Ballot (if you’re aged 11 or more) on this page.
In order to be included in the club ballot this year, the LTA required that you need to have renewed your membership, or joined the club, and opted in to the ballot by the end of 14th February 2020. Note that opting in does not commit you to buying tickets if you later decide you don’t want to – there will be plenty of others who do!
When we receive details of our ticket allocation from the LTA, we’ll e-mail out the details of these – the date, court and cost – to every club member eligible for the club ballot. By replying to this, you can tell us your order of preference for the tickets. Names will then be drawn from a hat, probably at a Sunday morning mix-in, and winners allocated a pair of tickets according to their highest remaining preference. Eligible members will be entered into the draw, although families with family membership will qualify for two ballots and then can choose to which tennis club members in their family any winning ballots will be allocated. The LTA rules say that tickets won through the ballot must be used by the winning club member plus any guest, and this is enforced by spot checks at Wimbledon. A maximum of one ballot winner per address will be allowed (any further ballots drawn from that address will be drawn again).
As an LTA registered venue, the Chalke Valley Tennis Club has a safeguarding policy, summarised here, and a diversity policy. These are also displayed on the noticeboard at the Sports Centre. It is a condition of membership of the club that members comply with these policies. Our trained Welfare Officer is Miranda Dodd, who can be contacted on 01722 780102 in relation to any concern about safeguarding or diversity issues.
Our tennis courts are adjacent to the Chalke Valley Sports Centre:
Knighton Road, Broadchalke, Salisbury Wilts. SP5 5HX
You can see a map of the location here, and get directions by entering your own start postcode and then clicking Get Directions.
The current club officers are as follows. Please get in touch if you have any questions about the club.
|Chair||John Dutson||01722 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Secretary||Emma Flint||01722 email@example.com|
|Treasurer||Matthew Dodd||01722 firstname.lastname@example.org|
Other committee members are Hilary Brown, Atilio Loncar and Victoria Senior.